[Spedas-list] SPEDAS 2.00 released and available for download

Jim Lewis jwl at ssl.berkeley.edu
Fri Jun 9 15:37:14 -05 2017

The SPEDAS development team is pleased to announce the final release of
SPEDAS version 2.00!

New features and capabilities for this release include:

Support for HTTPS downloads (now required by several data sources)

A new load routine, hapi_load_data, to support downloading data via the
new Heliophysics API.
A crib sheet is available in general/examples/crib_hapi.pro.

ISEE 3D particle data visualization tool, with support for displaying
THEMIS, MMS, and GEOTAIL data.
A crib sheet is available in
projects/themis/examples/advanced/thm_crib_isee3d.pro.

Updated IGRF coefficients through 2015

Numerous bug fixes and efficiency improvements

Updated plugins:
MMS (curlometer code, ISEE 3d plots, angle-angle plots)

THEMIS (combined electron and ion moments, improved SST calibrations,
improved spacecraft
potential estimates, support for additional GMAG networks and sites,
support for ESA low energy mode)

ERG/IUGONET (updated load routines for better HTTP and future HTTPS
support)

The SPEDAS 2.00 IDL source code release can be downloaded from the
spedas.org web site:
http://spedas.org/wiki/index.php?title=Downloads_and_Installation

The IDL source code release requires an IDL license.  In a few weeks, we
expect to release a set of
SPEDAS 2.00 executable files, which use the IDL Virtual Machine to allow
access to the SPEDAS Graphical
User Interface, with no IDL license required.  That release is pending,
while we work through the process
of renewing our IDL "Right to Distribute" agreement which is required
for us to build the executable files.
In the meantime, users without IDL licenses can download executables
based on a SPEDAS 2.00 beta
release,  from January 2017.  Please visit the spedas.org Downloads and
Installation link mentioned above
for download and installation instructions.

We are grateful to NASA Headquarters for their support of the SPEDAS
development effort.